-- Answers to Questions About Real Estate Law
Money and real estate news you can use everyday

Real Estate Lawyer
Question of the Week
Tip of the Week
Recommended Books
Contact Sam

How To Remove A Mortgage Lien From A Title

Ask the Real Estate Lawyer: Real Estate Law Q&A

REM #LAW 630

By Ilyce R. Glink and Samuel J. Tamkin

Summary: A reader wonders how to have and old mortgage lien removed from a title. Sam and Ilyce warn that over the last several years, lenders have become overwhelmed by the refinance boom and some have failed to keep up with the documentation. Some never send out the release deeds or release of lien letters.

Q: How can I get an old mortgage lien removed from my title? I paid off my loan and the settlement agent gave me a statement indicating that all funds had been disbursed.
(article continues below useful links)

Does the settlement agent have an obligation to make sure that the lien is removed?

A: To pay off a loan, you first need to request a payoff letter or demand letter from your lender. The payoff letter or demand letter asks your lender to give you the exact amount necessary to completely pay off you loan.

When you receive the statement from the lender, you will then need to forward a cashier’s or certified check to the lender for the exact amount needed to pay off the loan on the date indicated in the letter.

Once your lender receives the payoff letter and funds, the loan is paid off in full. Lenders then need to prepare a release deed or release of lien to clear the title to the property. The release, once recorded, gives notice to the world that you have paid off the loan and that the lien is no longer valid.

Unfortunately, over the last several years, lenders have become overwhelmed by the refinance boom and some have failed to keep up with the documentation. Some never send out the release deeds or release of lien letters.

You should call your lender and request that the company prepare and send out the release for recording. The document must be recorded at your recorder of deeds office or other office charged with recording documents in your county.

You can request that the settlement agent make the call, but it may take just as long to get the settlement agent and explain to them what you want them to do as it would to get a copy of the documents from your payoff and call the lender yourself. If you call the lender, ask for the department that handles release of liens.

Samuel J. Tamkin is a Chicago-based real estate attorney. Ilyce R. Glink’s latest book is 50 Simple Steps You Can Take To Sell Your Home Faster and For More Money In Any Market. If you have questions for them, write: Real Estate Matters Syndicate, PO Box 366, Glencoe, IL 60022 or contact them through Ilyce’s website




RSS Feeds

RSS 0.91 Feed
RSS 1.0 Feed
RSS 2.0 Feed

Home Buying   Using Attorneys to Buy a Home - Earnest Money - Quitclaim Deeds - Easements - Seller Misreprensation - New Construction - Buying with Partners - Home Inspections - Seller Problems - Agent Issues
Home Selling    Using Attorneys to Sell a Home - Seller Disclosure laws - Title Problems - Buyer Problems - Real Estate Agent Issues - Tax Considerations
Home Ownership   Neighbor Problems - Seller Misrepresentation And Fraud Issues - Problems In a Condominium Development - Problems Around The House - New Construction Issues - Subdividing Land
Home Renovation   Architect Issues - Contractor Issues - Problems With Contractors - Inspection Issues - Certificate Of Occupancy - Municipal Inspections - Punch List Issues - Financing Issues - Installment Contracts
Real Estate  
Loan Application Problems - Refinancing Issues - Paying Off An Old Loan - Credit Problems - Seller Recommended Lender - Prepaying A Loan - Prepayment Penalties - Predatory Lenders
1031 Exchanges - Financing Investment Properties - Landlord and Tenant Issues - Partnership and Company Considerations - Tax Considerations - Subdividing Land
Contact Us | Sitemap | Terms of Use | Copyright ©2001-2005. ThinkGlink Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction of material from any pages without written permission is strictly prohibited.
Site design by Walker Sands Communications