-- Answers to Questions About Real Estate Law
Money and real estate news you can use everyday

Real Estate Lawyer
Question of the Week
Tip of the Week
Recommended Books
Contact Sam

Refund for Misclassification of Home


By Ilyce R. Glink and Samuel J. Tamkin

Summary: A single family home is mistakenly classified as a three-family building. The owner wants a refund of the previous year's taxes. Ilyce and Sam explain how individual counties have various refund policies.

Q: I bought my single family home a couple of years ago and discovered the county assessor's office had it classified incorrectly as a three-family building. I got the assessorís office to correct its mistake, and my house is now properly classified as a single family home.

Can I get a refund for the previous years taxes that were too high due to the misclassification?

A: Whether or not you get your money back will in part depend on where you live.
(article continues below useful links)

In some areas, you simply canít get a refund. In those locations, the homeowner has the burden of making sure his or her homeís assessment is correct. If it isnít correct, there is a certain time period in which the homeowner may seek a correction to the tax bill. If the homeowner fails to correct the error during that window of opportunity, the assessment of the home becomes final.

In some cases, even if the assessment on the home is final, a homeowner might still have one last chance to contest the taxes and seek a reduction. But if the assessment process and the tax payment process are finalized, many jurisdictions will bar the homeowner from seeking a refund for prior years taxes paid.

Even if you canít get the county to refund any overpayment of taxes, know that having the correct information should result in lower tax bills in the current tax year and in future years.

Samuel J. Tamkin is a Chicago-based real estate attorney. Ilyce R. Glinkís latest book is 50 Simple Steps You Can Take To Sell Your Home Faster and For More Money In Any Market. If you have questions for them, write: Real Estate Matters Syndicate, PO Box 366, Glencoe, IL 60022 or contact them through Ilyceís website




RSS Feeds

RSS 0.91 Feed
RSS 1.0 Feed
RSS 2.0 Feed

Home Buying   Using Attorneys to Buy a Home - Earnest Money - Quitclaim Deeds - Easements - Seller Misreprensation - New Construction - Buying with Partners - Home Inspections - Seller Problems - Agent Issues
Home Selling    Using Attorneys to Sell a Home - Seller Disclosure laws - Title Problems - Buyer Problems - Real Estate Agent Issues - Tax Considerations
Home Ownership   Neighbor Problems - Seller Misrepresentation And Fraud Issues - Problems In a Condominium Development - Problems Around The House - New Construction Issues - Subdividing Land
Home Renovation   Architect Issues - Contractor Issues - Problems With Contractors - Inspection Issues - Certificate Of Occupancy - Municipal Inspections - Punch List Issues - Financing Issues - Installment Contracts
Real Estate  
Loan Application Problems - Refinancing Issues - Paying Off An Old Loan - Credit Problems - Seller Recommended Lender - Prepaying A Loan - Prepayment Penalties - Predatory Lenders
1031 Exchanges - Financing Investment Properties - Landlord and Tenant Issues - Partnership and Company Considerations - Tax Considerations - Subdividing Land
Contact Us | Sitemap | Terms of Use | Copyright ©2001-2005. ThinkGlink Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction of material from any pages without written permission is strictly prohibited.
Site design by Walker Sands Communications