-- Answers to Questions About Real Estate Law
Money and real estate news you can use everyday

Real Estate Lawyer
Question of the Week
Tip of the Week
Recommended Books
Contact Sam

Adding Minor to House Title


By Ilyce R. Glink and Samuel J. Tamkin

Summary: A family would like to add their minor daughter to the house title. Ilyce and Sam explain that the daughter can own a piece of the home, but as long as she is a minor, she cannot own it directly.

Q: My husband and I would like to know if we can add our minor daughter to our house title. How would we go about doing that?

A. You daughter can own a piece of your home, but as long as she is a minor, she cannot own it directly. She could not, for example, own it as a joint tenant or as a tenant in common with you.
(article continues below useful links)

That’s unfortunate, because joint tenancy would allow you, your wife and anyone else who is not a minor to own the home equally and as a whole. Upon the death any of the owners, the title to the home would automatically be left to the remaining other surviving owners.

As a tenant in common, each owner owns a share of the home and upon the death of any owner, that owner’s share transfers directly to his or her heirs in accordance to his or her will. If there is no will, ownership in the property would transfer according to the laws of the state in which the property is located.

As a minor, your daughter has limited rights and duties under the law. Using trusts or other vehicles similar to trusts, including a transfer under the Uniform Transfer to Minors Act (UTMA), your daughter can indirectly own the property.

Setting up a trust or other ownership vehicle requires you to choose someone to administer the trust who is not an owner of the property. That trustee would have authority to sell, mortgage, manage, lease, and maintain the property, as well as have the duty to maintain the property.

With an UTMA account, you could set up a type of custodial account for your minor daughter. For more information, talk to an estate attorney or real estate attorney to set up the ownership documents.

Samuel J. Tamkin is a Chicago-based real estate attorney. Ilyce R. Glink’s latest book is 50 Simple Steps You Can Take To Sell Your Home Faster and For More Money In Any Market. If you have questions for them, write: Real Estate Matters Syndicate, PO Box 366, Glencoe, IL 60022 or contact them through Ilyce’s website




RSS Feeds

RSS 0.91 Feed
RSS 1.0 Feed
RSS 2.0 Feed

Home Buying   Using Attorneys to Buy a Home - Earnest Money - Quitclaim Deeds - Easements - Seller Misreprensation - New Construction - Buying with Partners - Home Inspections - Seller Problems - Agent Issues
Home Selling    Using Attorneys to Sell a Home - Seller Disclosure laws - Title Problems - Buyer Problems - Real Estate Agent Issues - Tax Considerations
Home Ownership   Neighbor Problems - Seller Misrepresentation And Fraud Issues - Problems In a Condominium Development - Problems Around The House - New Construction Issues - Subdividing Land
Home Renovation   Architect Issues - Contractor Issues - Problems With Contractors - Inspection Issues - Certificate Of Occupancy - Municipal Inspections - Punch List Issues - Financing Issues - Installment Contracts
Real Estate  
Loan Application Problems - Refinancing Issues - Paying Off An Old Loan - Credit Problems - Seller Recommended Lender - Prepaying A Loan - Prepayment Penalties - Predatory Lenders
1031 Exchanges - Financing Investment Properties - Landlord and Tenant Issues - Partnership and Company Considerations - Tax Considerations - Subdividing Land
Contact Us | Sitemap | Terms of Use | Copyright ©2001-2005. ThinkGlink Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction of material from any pages without written permission is strictly prohibited.
Site design by Walker Sands Communications