-- Answers to Questions About Real Estate Law
Money and real estate news you can use everyday

Real Estate Lawyer
Question of the Week
Tip of the Week
Recommended Books
Contact Sam

Is Son's Condominium Investment Property?


By Ilyce R. Glink and Samuel J. Tamkin

Summary: A parent helps out a son with the down payment on a condominium. Ilyce and Sam explain why to avoid making this investment property and how to plan for the condominium in the estate.

Q: I am helping my son and his wife purchase a condominium. Their resources are slim, so I am giving them the down payment for the home and I will apply for the mortgage for their home.

My lender tells me that since I won't be occupying the property it becomes an investment property. This would be my first foray into real estate as an investment. Should I be consulting a real estate attorney about the tax implications and the way the entire arrangement should be structured?
(article continues below useful links)

A. In your situation, you would be wise to talk to your accountant or an attorney that practices both real estate and estate planning.

You should know that some lenders will allow you to buy a non-owner occupied home and give you the same loan terms as an owner occupied home. And, itís to your advantage not to have the home classified as an investment property.

Most of the time, lenders give better rates and terms for owner-occupied homes. I urge you to check with your lender and other lenders in your area to determine the best rate and fees for your situation.

Letís think about the ownership arrangement for this property. You clearly want to help your son and daughter-in-law, but what youíre proposing is to buy the property and then allow your son and daughter-in-law to live in it.

Have you considered a lease arrangement? Your son would pay you for the costs of ownership, including the mortgage payments, taxes and insurance. Eventually, when you sonís credit and savings improve, you can sell the home to him.

Other issues you should discuss with an attorney would be estate planning issues. Depending on your age and other family circumstances, you should determine what your priorities are with respect to owning the home.

For example, if your son decides to move, will you be stuck with a home without a tenant? Do you want to own the home jointly with your son and daughter in law? Do you want your home to pass on to your son in the event of your death? Do you think the homeís value will increase and you will want your son to benefit from the increase? What is the plan in case your son and daughter in law separate?

These are some of the questions you will need to think about and discuss with an estate planning attorney.

Samuel J. Tamkin is a Chicago-based real estate attorney. Ilyce R. Glinkís latest book is 50 Simple Steps You Can Take To Sell Your Home Faster and For More Money In Any Market. If you have questions for them, write: Real Estate Matters Syndicate, PO Box 366, Glencoe, IL 60022 or contact them through Ilyceís website




RSS Feeds

RSS 0.91 Feed
RSS 1.0 Feed
RSS 2.0 Feed

Home Buying   Using Attorneys to Buy a Home - Earnest Money - Quitclaim Deeds - Easements - Seller Misreprensation - New Construction - Buying with Partners - Home Inspections - Seller Problems - Agent Issues
Home Selling    Using Attorneys to Sell a Home - Seller Disclosure laws - Title Problems - Buyer Problems - Real Estate Agent Issues - Tax Considerations
Home Ownership   Neighbor Problems - Seller Misrepresentation And Fraud Issues - Problems In a Condominium Development - Problems Around The House - New Construction Issues - Subdividing Land
Home Renovation   Architect Issues - Contractor Issues - Problems With Contractors - Inspection Issues - Certificate Of Occupancy - Municipal Inspections - Punch List Issues - Financing Issues - Installment Contracts
Real Estate  
Loan Application Problems - Refinancing Issues - Paying Off An Old Loan - Credit Problems - Seller Recommended Lender - Prepaying A Loan - Prepayment Penalties - Predatory Lenders
1031 Exchanges - Financing Investment Properties - Landlord and Tenant Issues - Partnership and Company Considerations - Tax Considerations - Subdividing Land
Contact Us | Sitemap | Terms of Use | Copyright ©2001-2005. ThinkGlink Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction of material from any pages without written permission is strictly prohibited.
Site design by Walker Sands Communications