-- Answers to Questions About Real Estate Law
Money and real estate news you can use everyday

Real Estate Lawyer
Question of the Week
Tip of the Week
Recommended Books
Contact Sam

Helping Family With Mortgage Payments


By Ilyce R. Glink and Samuel J. Tamkin

Summary: A father wonders if he can do a 1031 exchange and rent back the new purchase to his struggling son. Sam discusses the details of the 1031 exchange commonly known as “Starker” trusts.

Q: My son and his new wife are struggling to make the payments on the home they just bought. I’m trying to think of ways in which to help.

My wife and I intend to build a home in that area someday, so I was thinking one way to help is for me to sell a rental home I own in another state and buy their home from them. I would then rent their home back to them at the market rent. I’d use a 1031 tax-free exchange to avoid paying any taxes.
(article continues below useful links)

At some point in time, we would plan to move into the rental house as our primary residence for at least two years while we build a retirement home.

I have two questions. At that point in time, could I then sell the house back to my son after we move out without violating any IRS rules? May I have my son and his family stay with us (rent free) during the time I take possession of the house and until I have our retirement home built? I anticipate the designing and building of the retirement home will take at least two years.

A: A 1031 Exchange is named after the provision of the tax code relating to “like kind” exchanges. It refers to the sale of one investment property for the purchase of another, such as an apartment building for another apartment building, or a commercial building for an apartment building.

These exchanges are also commonly known as “Starker” trusts. The basic principle is that a seller of one property buys a second property for more money and defers any gain he would have realized on the sale of the first property.

The rules for a 1031 exchange can be complex and the timing requirements are strict. Typically, you’ll hire a third-party intermediary to handle the exchange for you.

In your case, you may be able to sell one of your investment properties and buy your son’s home. The purchase of the home must be for investment purposes and you may have to hold on to your son’s home as an investment property for at least two years. In addition, there are specific IRS rules relating to transfers between related parties. You will need to make sure you understand the rules and can abide by them.

If your ultimate plan is to move into the home or you plan to sell the home back to your son, you may be violating some of the 1031 regulations. Of course, if you are able to convert the investment property back to a personal residence, you may have anyone you like live with you.

Consult with an attorney that specializes in 1031 exchanges or with a qualified intermediary for more information. You may also want to talk to your tax preparer to discuss the effect this plan will have on your taxes.

Samuel J. Tamkin is a Chicago-based real estate attorney. Ilyce R. Glink’s latest book is 50 Simple Steps You Can Take To Sell Your Home Faster and For More Money In Any Market. If you have questions for them, write: Real Estate Matters Syndicate, PO Box 366, Glencoe, IL 60022 or contact them through Ilyce’s website




RSS Feeds

RSS 0.91 Feed
RSS 1.0 Feed
RSS 2.0 Feed

Home Buying   Using Attorneys to Buy a Home - Earnest Money - Quitclaim Deeds - Easements - Seller Misreprensation - New Construction - Buying with Partners - Home Inspections - Seller Problems - Agent Issues
Home Selling    Using Attorneys to Sell a Home - Seller Disclosure laws - Title Problems - Buyer Problems - Real Estate Agent Issues - Tax Considerations
Home Ownership   Neighbor Problems - Seller Misrepresentation And Fraud Issues - Problems In a Condominium Development - Problems Around The House - New Construction Issues - Subdividing Land
Home Renovation   Architect Issues - Contractor Issues - Problems With Contractors - Inspection Issues - Certificate Of Occupancy - Municipal Inspections - Punch List Issues - Financing Issues - Installment Contracts
Real Estate  
Loan Application Problems - Refinancing Issues - Paying Off An Old Loan - Credit Problems - Seller Recommended Lender - Prepaying A Loan - Prepayment Penalties - Predatory Lenders
1031 Exchanges - Financing Investment Properties - Landlord and Tenant Issues - Partnership and Company Considerations - Tax Considerations - Subdividing Land
Contact Us | Sitemap | Terms of Use | Copyright ©2001-2005. ThinkGlink Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction of material from any pages without written permission is strictly prohibited.
Site design by Walker Sands Communications