-- Answers to Questions About Real Estate Law
Money and real estate news you can use everyday

Real Estate Lawyer
Question of the Week
Tip of the Week
Recommended Books
Contact Sam

Earnest Money

Ask the Real Estate Lawyer: Real Estate Law Q&A

REM #LAW 667

By Ilyce R. Glink and Samuel J. Tamkin

Summary: Is the seller entitled to the buyer's earnest money if the buyer has not met his or her contract obligations? Yes, but it's a little more complicated than that: the key to getting the earnest money is keeping a good paper trail!

Q: I agreed to sell my house and the closing was scheduled for a couple of months after.
(article continues below useful links)

My attorney notified me that the buyers had asked for an extension of the closing date. A day before that later closing date, I was told that we could not close because the buyers never signed their loan commitment letter. Several days have gone by and I am ready to put the house back on the market and drop these people like a bad habit.

The buyers put down an earnest money deposit and I want to know if we are entitled to keep it since they have not met the contract arrangements. My attorney tells me that I have to give them significant time to try and come up with a closing date before I can do that, but I feel that they have already inconvenienced me since I am scheduled to close on my new home and may need to break my contract and lose my deposit.

A: If your buyer has defaulted on your contract, you are entitled to get damages from the buyer for their breach of the contract. In some cases you may be entitled to keep the deposit as a result of a buyer's failure to close.

Before you can keep the deposit, you must notify the buyer that he or she is in breach of the contract and give them a firm date by which they must close. If that date comes and goes without a closing, you should be able to make a demand on the party holding the earnest money to release it to you.

Unfortunately, the party holding the earnest money generally can't just give you the money. They can release it with the signed direction of the seller and the buyer or by court order. If the buyer refuses to release the money, you will have to sue the buyer to get the money.

The key to getting the earnest money is keeping a good paper trail: having good documentation that you were ready to close on the date designated under the contract, that you gave the buyer an opportunity to cure the breach and that they never cured the breach and never closed.

In some states you may not need to give the buyer the right to cure the default, but some courts may be unwilling to give the seller the earnest money when the breach of the closing was a "technical" breach - where the buyer fails to close on Monday, but is ready on Tuesday.

If the earnest money is large, the court may want to make sure that the seller is entitled to the money under the contract. The contract may have to be very specific that the earnest money is to be given to the seller in case of the buyer's breach of the contract as seller's only remedy under the contract. There may be other requirements in your state and you would be wise to discuss these further with your attorney.

Samuel J. Tamkin is a Chicago-based real estate attorney. Ilyce R. Glink’s latest book is 50 Simple Steps You Can Take To Sell Your Home Faster and For More Money In Any Market. If you have questions for them, write: Real Estate Matters Syndicate, PO Box 366, Glencoe, IL 60022 or contact them through Ilyce’s website




RSS Feeds

RSS 0.91 Feed
RSS 1.0 Feed
RSS 2.0 Feed

Home Buying   Using Attorneys to Buy a Home - Earnest Money - Quitclaim Deeds - Easements - Seller Misreprensation - New Construction - Buying with Partners - Home Inspections - Seller Problems - Agent Issues
Home Selling    Using Attorneys to Sell a Home - Seller Disclosure laws - Title Problems - Buyer Problems - Real Estate Agent Issues - Tax Considerations
Home Ownership   Neighbor Problems - Seller Misrepresentation And Fraud Issues - Problems In a Condominium Development - Problems Around The House - New Construction Issues - Subdividing Land
Home Renovation   Architect Issues - Contractor Issues - Problems With Contractors - Inspection Issues - Certificate Of Occupancy - Municipal Inspections - Punch List Issues - Financing Issues - Installment Contracts
Real Estate  
Loan Application Problems - Refinancing Issues - Paying Off An Old Loan - Credit Problems - Seller Recommended Lender - Prepaying A Loan - Prepayment Penalties - Predatory Lenders
1031 Exchanges - Financing Investment Properties - Landlord and Tenant Issues - Partnership and Company Considerations - Tax Considerations - Subdividing Land
Contact Us | Sitemap | Terms of Use | Copyright ©2001-2005. ThinkGlink Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction of material from any pages without written permission is strictly prohibited.
Site design by Walker Sands Communications