-- Answers to Questions About Real Estate Law
Money and real estate news you can use everyday

Real Estate Lawyer
Question of the Week
Tip of the Week
Recommended Books
Contact Sam

Divorce Leads To Home Ownership Issues

Ask the Real Estate Lawyer: Real Estate Law Q&A

REM #LAW 708

By Ilyce R. Glink and Samuel J. Tamkin

Summary: A reader has been divorced for many years and received his home in the divorce settlement. While preparing to sell the home, he discovers his ex-wife never signed a quit claim deed. Ilyce and Sam explain what legal steps should be taken in order to sell his home.

Q: My boyfriend is going to sell his house. We have lived together for 10 years. But his ex-wife of thirteen years never signed a quit claim deed.
(article continues below useful links)

Now she is refusing to sign the sales contract. In the divorce decree she relinquished all rights and responsibilities to the house. What should he do?

A: It’s unfortunate that many couples forget to make sure they take care of changing the title of their real estate when they get divorced. It’s generally a simple process that requires one spouse to convey his or her interest in the property to the other. While a divorce decree tells the couple the final disposition of all of their marital assets, they need to go this extra step to make sure that the title to each piece of real estate ends up with the right person.

As in your boyfriend’s case, years may go by. In some cases, ex-spouses disappear. The records as shown in the recorder of deeds office will not change unless a deed transfers title from the ex-spouse to the person that’s going to keep the property.

Your boyfriend probably has three choices in deciding how to proceed in selling his home. The first choice is to plead with his ex-wife to sign the deed conveying title to him. The second is to motion the court in which the original divorce had been filed and have the court issue a judicial deed to him. The court, in effect, would convey the ex-spouse’s interest in the home to your boyfriend.

Finally, in some cases and in some states, your boyfriend may be able to address this issue with the title company that will insure title in the buyer’s name. While the first and second options are the most preferable and you should proceed along those paths, as a last resort, your boyfriend may have this final option with the title company.

The title company would have to review the original divorce judgment and make a decision as to whether they would be willing to insure the title that would be conveyed to your prospective buyer. And, your boyfriend may have to pay extra for this service.

Finally, keep in mind that this option may not be available everywhere and may cost more than having the court issue a deed to your boyfriend.

Samuel J. Tamkin is a Chicago-based real estate attorney. Ilyce R. Glink’s latest book is 50 Simple Steps You Can Take To Sell Your Home Faster and For More Money In Any Market. If you have questions for them, write: Real Estate Matters Syndicate, PO Box 366, Glencoe, IL 60022 or contact them through Ilyce’s website




RSS Feeds

RSS 0.91 Feed
RSS 1.0 Feed
RSS 2.0 Feed

Home Buying   Using Attorneys to Buy a Home - Earnest Money - Quitclaim Deeds - Easements - Seller Misreprensation - New Construction - Buying with Partners - Home Inspections - Seller Problems - Agent Issues
Home Selling    Using Attorneys to Sell a Home - Seller Disclosure laws - Title Problems - Buyer Problems - Real Estate Agent Issues - Tax Considerations
Home Ownership   Neighbor Problems - Seller Misrepresentation And Fraud Issues - Problems In a Condominium Development - Problems Around The House - New Construction Issues - Subdividing Land
Home Renovation   Architect Issues - Contractor Issues - Problems With Contractors - Inspection Issues - Certificate Of Occupancy - Municipal Inspections - Punch List Issues - Financing Issues - Installment Contracts
Real Estate  
Loan Application Problems - Refinancing Issues - Paying Off An Old Loan - Credit Problems - Seller Recommended Lender - Prepaying A Loan - Prepayment Penalties - Predatory Lenders
1031 Exchanges - Financing Investment Properties - Landlord and Tenant Issues - Partnership and Company Considerations - Tax Considerations - Subdividing Land
Contact Us | Sitemap | Terms of Use | Copyright ©2001-2005. ThinkGlink Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction of material from any pages without written permission is strictly prohibited.
Site design by Walker Sands Communications