-- Answers to Questions About Real Estate Law
Money and real estate news you can use everyday

Real Estate Lawyer
Question of the Week
Tip of the Week
Recommended Books
Contact Sam

Converting 1031 Exchange To Primary Residence

Ask the Real Estate Lawyer: Real Estate Law Q&A

REM # LAW 676

By Ilyce R. Glink and Samuel J. Tamkin

Summary: A reader used a 1031 exchange to purchase a new rental property. After a year, they have discovered that the property is very difficult to rent out and they now want to use it as their primary residence. Ilyce and Sam explain that in order to convert the investment property into a primary residence, one must wait two years.

Q: We did a 1031 Exchange last year. We rented the house back to the previous owners for three months and have advertised the home for rent every month for the last nine months without success.
(article continues below useful links)

It is very expensive to keep up with all the expenses on our house and the rental house. We planned on renting the house for at least two years. However, since we are not getting a renter, when would it be legally safe to move into this property as our primary residence?

A: A 1031 exchange is a mechanism used to defer paying tax on gains realized from the sale of an investment property. To defer these taxes, the seller of an investment property buys a replacement property of equal or higher value. The seller has to satisfy timing requirements and other rules, but when she does, she is able to sell and buy a new property without having to pay the IRS any taxes. But keep in mind that the new property that is purchased must be used for investment purposes.

If you want to convert the investment property into your primary residence, you must wait two years. If you don’t wait the two years, the IRS may decide that your 1031 exchange was invalid and tax you on the profits made from the sale of the property you previously sold.

You should talk to your accountant on this issue to decide whether paying the taxes owed on the sale is less than keeping the property while it sits vacant accruing expenses.

Samuel J. Tamkin is a Chicago-based real estate attorney. Ilyce R. Glink’s latest book is 50 Simple Steps You Can Take To Sell Your Home Faster and For More Money In Any Market. If you have questions for them, write: Real Estate Matters Syndicate, PO Box 366, Glencoe, IL 60022 or contact them through Ilyce’s website




RSS Feeds

RSS 0.91 Feed
RSS 1.0 Feed
RSS 2.0 Feed

Home Buying   Using Attorneys to Buy a Home - Earnest Money - Quitclaim Deeds - Easements - Seller Misreprensation - New Construction - Buying with Partners - Home Inspections - Seller Problems - Agent Issues
Home Selling    Using Attorneys to Sell a Home - Seller Disclosure laws - Title Problems - Buyer Problems - Real Estate Agent Issues - Tax Considerations
Home Ownership   Neighbor Problems - Seller Misrepresentation And Fraud Issues - Problems In a Condominium Development - Problems Around The House - New Construction Issues - Subdividing Land
Home Renovation   Architect Issues - Contractor Issues - Problems With Contractors - Inspection Issues - Certificate Of Occupancy - Municipal Inspections - Punch List Issues - Financing Issues - Installment Contracts
Real Estate  
Loan Application Problems - Refinancing Issues - Paying Off An Old Loan - Credit Problems - Seller Recommended Lender - Prepaying A Loan - Prepayment Penalties - Predatory Lenders
1031 Exchanges - Financing Investment Properties - Landlord and Tenant Issues - Partnership and Company Considerations - Tax Considerations - Subdividing Land
Contact Us | Sitemap | Terms of Use | Copyright ©2001-2005. ThinkGlink Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction of material from any pages without written permission is strictly prohibited.
Site design by Walker Sands Communications